4th of July in Myrtle Beach
Posted on Tuesday, June 28 2016 09:40:00 AM in Mamma Mary Ellen's Home Cooked Eats & Southern Treats by Sidni Ramos
With the 4th of July coming, many of us are heading to the beach, Myrtle Beach to be exact. South Carolina’s grand strand jewel for beach going, shopping, and activity hopping. Mamma Mary Ellen may be an upstate dweller now, but she actually spent most of her life in Myrtle Beach. From childhood, into adulthood, married life and motherhood, you can still find Mamma Mary Ellen out on the beach and at the pavilion.
Life may be a little different at Myrtle Beach since Mamma left, but there are still many of her favorite spots around. As a gift from us to you for your holiday week, we are bringing you her beach protocol and favorite parts of Myrtle and the surrounding areas.
What to pack for the beach?
- Sunscreen (SPF 30 for the best coverage for the whole family)
- Sunglasses (To shield your eyes from the sun and reflective sand alike)
- Hat (to ensure that your neck is protected)
- Towel (To dry off with after a plunge)
- Chair (to allow you to sit on the waters shore and just get your feet wet)
- Umbrella (those rays can be pretty strong, so it is good to have a second protector)
- Beach toys for the kids (sand buckets, shovels, kites…)
- Trash bags (Keep the beaches clean for everyone)
Mamma Mary Ellen lived close enough to the beach that she rarely stayed out there all day without a trip home to grill hamburgers and hot dogs. But, if you do, she recommends bringing a cooler with all the necessities!
What to pack in your cooler?
Myrtle Beach isn’t just about the beach though, there are also many other attractions for the whole family. Here are Mamma’s suggestions:
Shopping and attractions in Myrtle:
Eating in Myrtle Beach:
- Brookgreen Gardens
- Huntington Beach (Make sure you see Atalaya while you are there!)
- Nance’s Creekfront Restaurant (Voted best seafood by Mamma)
- Creek Ratz
Calabash, NC Eats: